Karla’s bag and survival kit

Hello, this is Karla from Mexico.

I have always liked the idea of transformation and I wanted to represent it in my carrier bag. It looks like a cocoon and behaves likewise.

Inside my bag, all the things that I will learn, observe, smell, touch, and taste will transform into beautiful knowledge and experiences.

I think my bag has harmoniously grown among plants, mushrooms and insects, and when I die it will return to the soil without harm.

While my survival kit has all the things that I consider my treasures.

1. My favourite book. Acridofagia y otros insectos. I admire the author, Julieta Ramos Elorduy, because she made me fall in love with the world of edible insects. Also, she is the only female researcher specialised in the topic from Mexico.
  2. Chocolate. Probably I can survive eating chocolate my entire life. The darker the better.
  3. My glasses. They help me to avoid my clumsiness.
  4. Pictures with my little brother and my friend. I brought two pictures that reflect the love that I have for my family and friends and when I see them I feel close to them.
  5. Remedios Varo’s postcard. She is one of my favourite painters. What I really like is that she portays misticism, magic and the worl of the unconscious mind. I get lost inside her paintings surrounded by her strokes. This postcard was a gift from my little sister and when I see it I remember the words that she told me: I admire you because you are a dreamer.
  6. Hand sanitizer. I use it a lot, specially when I travel by bus or metro.
  7. Hair comb. It reminds me a fly market next to my house in Mexico. It was a gift from the seller and I love how shiny it is and due to it is a vintage piece, I am convinced that is it full of memories.
  8. Lip balm. My lips are always dry so I have an obsession with lip balms. I have try thousands but Vaseline is such a good option.
  9. Fragance. I love citric fragances for spaces. They relax me and create an optimal atmosphere to chill and concentrate when I am stressed out.
  10. Headphones. When I am using my headphones, music transports me into different worlds and it makes me feel energetic and happy.
  11. Surgical mask. I use it all the time in public spaces as a respect gesture.
  12. My beautiful scarf. Probably my most precious accesory. My mother gave it to me during the first months of the worldwide pandemic. I always wear it to remember my mother and the few months that we spent together.
  13. My converse. They are comfortable, compact and resistant and have helped me to explore weird and chaotic places.